- Harvard College Professor and Beton Michael Kaneb Professor of National Security and Military Affairs at Harvard University
- Associate director of the John M. Olin Institute for Strategic Studies
- Professor in the strategy department at the U. S. Naval War College
- Consultant for the President's Commission on Integrated Long-term Strategy
- Director of political-military affairs at the National Security Council in the Ronald Reagan White House
- One of the original signers to the 1997 Statement of Principles by the neoconservative "think tank," Project for the New American Century.
- Signer of the Project for the New American Century's controversial 90-page report entitled Rebuilding America's Defenses: Strategies, Forces and Resources for a New Century (2000), advocating the redeployment of U.S. troops in permanent bases in strategic locations throughout the world where they can be ready to act to protect U.S. interests abroad
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.