- Distinguished Scholar with the Center for Strategic and International Studies
- Member of the Council on Foreign Relations and the International Institute for Strategic Studies.
- Commissioner on the National Commission on Terrorism, which produced the Report of the National Commission on Terrorism in June 2000
- Director of the National Endowment for Democracy
- Under Secretary of Defense for Policy in the Ronald Reagan administration
- Director for the U.S. Arms Control and Disarmament Agency (1973-1977).
- One of the original signers to the 1997 Statement of Principles by the neoconservative "think tank," Project for the New American Century.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.